I have had the privilege of being a bridesmaid a few times, and I know the cost implications involved. I have always said when it comes to my turn; I don’t want to inconvenience anybody so I will make sure the budget is very very affordable.
The budget for my bridesmaids is just under £100 which I feel is magical and I’m very proud of myself, compared to previous budgets that I had been given (£250-300).
I was really proud of myself and was very ready to share the good news with the girls until my CB knocked me down and said the budget is high! Egbami £100 for clothes, make up, hair, accessories, shoes, tailoring, material …. C’mon I tried for una nao! I’m not trying to compromise on quality because of price.
My question now is What Costs Should the Bride Cover for Her Bridesmaids? From my little knowledge this is what I think it should be.
Traditionally, bridesmaids are expected to pay for the following:
- Wedding attire and accessories. This includes the dress (which will most likely be picked by the bride), alterations, shoes and other adornments.
- Transportation to and from the wedding town or city
- Gift for the couple
- Share in the cost of a bridesmaids’ gift to the bride (optional)
- Bachelorette party attendance cost (optional)
These are the costs that the bride should cover for her bridesmaids:
- Bridesmaid’s flowers
- Lodging for out-of-town attendants
- Transportation for the bridal party to ceremony and reception
- Thank you gift to her attendants
- Bridesmaids’ luncheon, tea, or party
- Hair and makeup
When I have been a bridesmaid for my Naija brides, I have always forked out the cost of everythingggggg, the brides did nada!
Any which way, luckily for my bridesmaids I have decided to pay for their dress, shoes and hair / makeup to be done, they just don’t know it yet 😉 Or maybe I’m just a control freak who doesn’t have time for ‘I don’t like this, can we have it in a different style, and it’s too short, too long’ etc. etc.
Jokes apart, I just personally want to know what other brides feel about this and how they sorted this issue out. In my opinion, I don’t think its right for you to ask someone to be your Bridesmaid and then expect them to pay for the dress themselves. That mentality sorry to say is a ‘Black / African / Nigerian’ one.